Re: ismethod() work-around for 5.x

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: ismethod() work-around for 5.x
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 19:23:01 -0400

On 6/8/21 6:10 PM, Ray Daniel Zimmerman wrote:
> It appears that in Octave 5.x and earlier the ismethod() function does
> not find methods defined in a classdef. My current workaround is to move
> the methods into separate files in their own @class_name directory, but
> I’d rather not. So I was hoping to include my own ismethod()
> functionality in my package to support Octave 5.x.
>
> I would just look at the ismethod() source in Octave 6.x except that my
> code needs to be distributed under a BSD license.
>
> So, can anyone suggest an efficient approach for detecting whether a
> name is a method of an object … one that I could implement and include
> in my BSD licensed project?
>
> Thanks,
>
>     Ray

Maybe you want the metaclass introspection mechanism?

  klass = meta.class.fromName('someclass')

That'll get you a meta.class definition object (analagous to a
java.lang.Class object) for a given classdef class, with a MethodList
property that enumerates all the methods defined on it, including
inherited ones. Check if there's a method of that name in the list.
Won't be fast, but I think it'll be accurate, and easy to implement.
Maybe memoize it for a speedup.

Works for me in 4.4.1, so I think it'll work in 5.x too.

Cheers,
Andrew