Re: debian buildbots are crashing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: debian buildbots are crashing
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 16:24:59 -0000

On September 25, 2020 1:25:56 PM EDT, "Dmitri A. Sergatskov"
<dasergatskov@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 1:00 PM John W. Eaton <jwe@octave.org> wrote:

>there
>> >
>> > No, there was a bug uncovered by a recent change that I made.  I'm
>> > working on it.
>>
>> I pushed the following change on stable and merged with default.  It
>> seems to fix the problem for me.
>>
>>    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c5953e65c6aa
>>
>> jwe
>>

>I have not seen this problem in either fedora buildbots or my centos
>workstation.
>Why is it different? Memory overcommitment?
>
>Dmitri.
>--

I don't think it was a memory issue.  The ones that were failing were using
either clang or gcc with link time optimization flags.  They were also on
systems without DISPLAY defined, so they were using the gnuplot graphics
toolkit.  My observation showed that when Octave was exiting, the
__init_gnuplot__.oct file was being closed before the destructor for the
gnuplot_graphics_toolkit object was executed.  Later, when I'm back to a real
computer, maybe I can explain why the change I made appears to fix the problem.