[gnu.org #1886235] Octave website down?

From: bill-auger via RT
Subject: [gnu.org #1886235] Octave website down?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:56:55 -0400

i should have clarified, that this thread is related to a ticket received by
GNU webmasters - please CC the GNU webmasters (webmasters@gnu.org), if there is
anything for us to do - the ticket is remaining open for now

Dmitri wrote:
> See: https://octave.discourse.group/t/fosshost-domains-down/3477

based on that forum thread, it appears that the host has not responded, and so
it could be some time before octave's infra is operational once again - at the
very least, we would like to see the gnu.org URL
(http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/), directing users to _something_
interesting

if hosting is a problem, you could consider adjusting the DNS records, and
utilizing the GNU infra, at least temporarily, and/or as a permanent backup
plan to ease with such unexpected emergencies in the future

off-hand, at least these appear to be relevant:

> www.octave.org - mostly (all?) static web pages
> docs.octave.org - all static pages?
* savannah could host a copy of the main website
* a simple static web page could be hosted in the GNU website VCS

> bugs.octave.org - static page(s) or redirect?
* the savannah bug tracker is already active and is heavily used

> hg.octave.org - mirror of savannah mercurial archive
* savannah already has the source code VCS

> buildbot.octave.org - buildbot master
* i beleive that GNU fencepost could accommodate the project's needs

> ftp.octave.org - redirect to gnu.org
* that's an easy one (just change the DNS)