openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] After compiling?

From: John Coldrick
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] After compiling?
Date: 11 Feb 2003 16:07:38 -0500

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 15:30, Tim Thorburn wrote:
> I'm running RedHat 8.0, downloaded and configured OpenEXR - I did this by
> following the instructions in the INSTALL file.  It seems to have all gone
> well ... so my question is now what?

        It's a little early goings yet for that.  Essentially, the folks at ILM
have opened up the source for an image spec...all the tools are there
for a developer to implement support for the format in their
applications.   A couple of them will be out soon, with hopefully lots
more to come, but right at the moment you're given a sample program
written that lets you view and fiddle with OpenEXR(exrdisplay), and
that's about it.  ;)  It's a proof of concept(not counting all the
actual production ILM has used this in).
        I suspect you thought this might be like a Windows codec that, once
installed, is accessible by a multitude of apps.  Not yet.  :)

        Cheers,

        J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
address@hidden                                        M5V 1S4
There's nothing to writing.  All you do is sit at a typewriter and open
a vein.
                -- Red Smith