openexr-user

[Openexr-user] openexr buffers and lightwave 3D?

From: watkin
Subject: [Openexr-user] openexr buffers and lightwave 3D?
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:50:15 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I am currently researching a lightwave render pipeline in which we plan to
render extra buffers beyond rgbaz for finishing compositing purposes.  I would
like to find out more about the capabilies of the openexr format to see if we
should use it or another format such as rla or flx.

For one can you render out all the extra buffers to be contained within one
Openexr image or do you have to split up the buffers into the standard rgba
channels in multiple images?

If it is possible to combine the extra buffers into one image, does anyone know
if Shake has the capability to read them.  As far as I know it can only read 5
channels at a time (rgbaz).

The third is question is more lightwave specific, but as this all of this is
related, can anyone suggest a buffer exporter for Lightwave 3D (PC) that will
support extra bit-depth images like openexr??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Will Atkin
MFA Candidate