openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] libstdc++.so.5 not found

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] libstdc++.so.5 not found
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:23:23 +0100

Klaus Steden wrote:

Hello,

I think I have managed to compile Openexr under Redhad 9 however I'm having problems running the "exrdisplay" program. When I run it I get the following error: .../libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2.2' not found (required by /usr/local/lib/libIlmImf.so.2)

I noticed that it works fine when I'm root.

Any ideas? thanks

Linux has all sorts of funkiness with libc and libc++ versions that I find it difficult to keep them clear between versions.

I'd suggest installing any of the available compat-libstdc++ RPMS and giving it another go ... if they're already installed, check the output of 'ldd' as root and as your user, and see which library file it loads when it works - and check that file's permissions. You may also have to rebuild your dynamic loader's cache using the 'ldconfig' command.

hth,
Klaus

Hi Klaus,

thanks for your help.
I tried 'ldd' and yes, 'exrdisplay' is actually calling a different version of libstdc++.so.5 when i'm root which is located in /usr/lib.

This is the output from ldd:
From root:
..
libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0x40360000)

From user:
..
libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/Softimage/XSI_4.2/Application/mainwin/mw/../misc/linux/gcc/fixed3/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0x40360000)
..
Do I have to reinstall openexr with some different options to make sure that I use the this library as a user? Why would it use this library and not the one in /usr/lib?

thanks again for your help,
Patrick