openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Cannot compile exrdisplay on Mac OS X

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Cannot compile exrdisplay on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:32:24 -0700

Hi, Robin,

exrdisplay is supported on the Mac, but the version of exrdisplay that uses Cg to prepare the image for display on the GPU is not. I believe that Drew is working on moving this version over to OpenGL ARB shaders, which should work just fine on the Mac.

exrdisplay won't build on the Mac unless you install FLTK, which is available at www.fltk.org (version 1.1.6 is the one you want, I think).

As always, exrdisplay is a utility application separate from the OpenEXR libraries, and is not required for reading and writing OpenEXR image files.

If you are interested in developing fragment shaders for processing and displaying OpenEXR image data, the code in exrdisplay can provide a good reference. The ARB shader API is quite similar to NVidia's API, and is a more portable way to write fragment programs.

- Paul