openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] CTL bug/implementation issue

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] CTL bug/implementation issue
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:16:43 -0700

gga wrote:
On another note:

I haven't looked too deep into the CTL implementation yet, but...
Is there currently any way to output bytecodes or, better yet, encode
the ctl code?  One of the original discussions on this list mentioned
that as a potential feature, so that, say, if ILM wanted to share data
with me, I would be able to use their ctl files, but, at the same time,
ILM could keep their proprietary color transforms secret (at least
without me doing some serious reverse engineering).

Reverse engineering of usable high-level code from the bytecodes
would be fairly easy, especially given that the CTL interpreter
is open source.  You would have to write a reverse translator only
once; after that you could apply it to any number of transforms.
Supporting an unreadable execute-only representation in order to
protect trade secrets doesn't seem worth the effort; subverting
the protection would be all too easy.

If you want to protect your math, you may want to explicitly build
a lookup table and stick that into your .ctl program.