openexr-user

[Openexr-user] Color Management with EXR

From: Bo Schwarzstein
Subject: [Openexr-user] Color Management with EXR
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:46:39 +0800

Hello folks,

Would you like to explain how the OpenEXR format should be used in
color management pipeline ?

In my opinion, the EXR support FP16/32 format, we can record linear
light in real world with nearly unlimited dynamic range, take an
example, in Paul Debevec's HDRI tutorial, the sun is brighter than the
perfect diffuser nearly 46000 times, so if we record the reference
white with CIE XYZ, the part about the sun on image should be 46000
greater than the white part, a ( thick white paper or silk ) ? We can
apply this image (also maybe RGBE format) to HDR illumination in
generating CG content (gather in RSL?).

But because even the high-end digital camera such as Panavision
Genesis can't record scene in 46000:1 such a huge dynamics range, we
still work with the limited dynamics range in CG production.

Am I right ? Thanks very much and sorry for my poor English.