openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] naming restrictions for exr

From: Piotr Stanczyk
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] naming restrictions for exr
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:19:10 -0700

Hi Josh,

There are no hard restrictions to speak of, the naming conventions for OpenEXR files are only in relation to the extension: typically .exr. There are instances of .sxr that symbolize stereo OpenEXR images.

I presume you are referring to the playback of image sequences and frame numbering. If so, then then the exact format will depend on the playback application, but in most cases the following works quite well: basename.frameNumber.exr.
Examples of these:
t.1.exr, t.2.exr .... t.9.exr, t.10.exr ...
t.0001.exr, t.0002.exr .... t.0009.exr, t.0010.exr ...

Piotr

josh thomas wrote:
hello,
I am trying to find out what the naming restrictions are for the EXR file format. Does it follow that same protocols as DPX. How do you name it so that it will play the files sequentially. Any help would be greatly appreciated.