pam-mount-devel

[Pam-mount-devel] Samba 3.0 winbind and pam_mount

From: Axel Suppantschitsch
Subject: [Pam-mount-devel] Samba 3.0 winbind and pam_mount
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:14:40 -0000

Hi Mike,

I'm currently working on a project for my university that deals with a scenario
that should provide unified home directories for windows and linux users. I've
been struggeling with mounting smb shares during the login process for months
now before I found your pam module. This is exactly what I need and hopefully
will solve all my problems. ;)

I use an Active Directory integrated Samba 3.0 Server with Winbind, so my users
should be able to authenticate against the Active Directory without the need
for local Linux user accounts. So far so good, winbind works like a charm and
the whole login process as well as long as the Linux users homedirectories stay
on the local Linux machine. BTW: I use pam_makehomedir to generate the missing
home directories and skeleton files for the Active Directory users during their
first login.

This is the point where pam_mount enters the scene. I would like to put the
Linux based home directories of the Active Directory Users on a samba share
including all skeleton files. So pam_makehomedir should also work in this
scenario.
Anyway, I compiled the a rpm of version 0.9.13 for my Fedora Core 1 machine
today and added the necessary lines to my /etc/system-auth as well as the
pam_mount configuration.
The first thing I realized was that pam_mount can't handle the winbind usernames
consisting of the domain name, a separator, and the username
eg."DOMAIN/username". I know that there is the workaround by enabling winbind
to use the default domain name and automatically attach it to the username.
This limits the scenario to a single domain, while I need to cover three sub
domains with this scenario.
Now my question: Could you imagine to extend pam_mount to parse
/etc/samba/smb.conf and read out the value "winbind separator"? With the
separator you could parse the winbind username in the next step and split it
into "domain name" and "username" to be used with the mount command. That
should play the trick with winbind usernames.

Best regards,

Axel.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Axel Suppantschitsch
---