pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Feature request saving files and parity checks

From: Kerry Keal
Subject: [Pan-devel] Feature request saving files and parity checks
Date: 16 Sep 2002 12:49:51 -0700

Hi,

I was wanting to add an option to Preferences that when saving
attachments that span across multiple messages and missing one or more
segments, it would append the part number to the end of the file (.001,
.002, etc), instead of just running all the parts together in one file.
Would the PAN developers accept my patches to add this feature if the
patches met the proper coding standards? I've got it mostly working, but
I would need to clean it up, before submitting it. I won't bother
cleaning it up if it has no chance of ever making it into the main
distribution.

I'm also going to try to make changes to parchive
(http://parchive.sourceforge.net) that would allow recovery of missing
pieces of files if parity archive files (.par,.p01,...) are present in
the binary post. The current version of parchive only works if missing
whole files and not just missing pieces of files. It uses techniques
similar to Raid devices for recovery and error detection (a Reed-Solomon
algorithm to be more precise).

If I can get the parchive to work with pieces of files, I would then
like to add an option where the user could highlight (or flag) a set of
files and parity files then click an option to save attachments using
parity files to file in missing pieces. Would the PAN developers be
interested in this parity check feature.

Regards,

Kerry Keal