pan-users

[Pan-users] Can Pan double-connect??

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Can Pan double-connect??
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:01:29 -0500 (EST)

        I vave no idea whether this is even possible with
any machine anywhere; my apologies if I'm wasting everyone's
time.

        I have Pan set to three newsfeeds: one at each of my
ISPs, plus news.opera.no. Each carries groups I want that
the others don't -- presumably one reason Pan *has*
provision for multiple servers. (Thanks, developers!)

        My normal practice, as now, is to connect to the
fast but unsatisfactory Verizon DSL (whose mailserver does
only POP3 -- maybe that's what makes trouble), then
immediately ssh over to Radix, where I run Pine in a shell
account. (I also run pine on my machine, and can get mail at
verizon -- if I want to bad enough, i.e. on rare occasions.)

        But radix security denies the newsfeed to anyone not
connected directly: so I can read their groups with this
radix pine account, but not for instance with the same pine
release on my own machine. And not with Pan on this machine.

        (For all I know, verizon may do the same thing, and
would shut me out if I were to dial up radix and telnet or
otherwise throu-connect to verizon.)

        So my probably absurd question : could I connect to
verizon DSL as usual, and still make a side-connection by
dialing up radix? If so, would Pan be able to contact two
servers as it does now, and also the third over the dial-up?
If so, how?
--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
retiree & linux greenhorn, running Pan 0.11.2 under RH 7.2