pan-users

[Pan-users] Reserve Connection.

From: James Hawtin
Subject: [Pan-users] Reserve Connection.
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:01:12 +0000 (GMT)

Someone already stated that it would be nice if getting the list of
headers counted as a reserved connection activity. I would like to second
that.. Also...

having resently having to suffer with bad news server. Reserved connection
made matter much worse and had to be turned off for a while. I was oftain
unable to get a second connection to the server, so reserving would
prevent all new reading :-(

Perhaps a change could me made if on the lines of... If pan fails to open
a second connection it turns "off" reserved connection, until it is able
to open a second one.

Also Rotate which connection is reserved I was finding, when i did have
two open, the reserved connection would idle out, stopping other downloads
to make a new "reserved connection", the downloads would then fail because
it was unable to open a new connection. Very annoying because it had the
connection it just needed to keep it open! If it had rotated the
connection used for downloads with the one it was trying to reserve this
would not have happened. Many news servers seem wise to doing "mode
reader" as an anti idle thing, so rotating a download through that
connection would work much better :-)

Multiplexing downloads of parts across all the connections to a
server would be even better, as would ebing able to interupt them... But
hay one step at a time.

James