pan-users

[Pan-users] Why does deleting articles take so long?

From: Alen Williams
Subject: [Pan-users] Why does deleting articles take so long?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:34:35 -0700

Some of the binary newsgroups that I'm subscribed to will hold several hundred thousand articles (a.b.vcd for example). Usually I delete articles every day, to make things run quicker... However, every now and then I grab ALL headers, and then after downloading the one little bit I forgot (doh!) I empty the group...

Now, I can understand why deleting a few thousand articles *selectively* might take a while when you have so MANY headers, but when you select "Empty Group" it's pinning my machine (a PIII 700 with 370 Mb ram) for at least 30 minutes... Surely dumping the entire group at once shouldn't take so long???

Anybody know what gives? This is on version 0.11.2.91.

Regards,

Alen.

P.S. Haven't been able to reproduce this in any useful way, BUT, the only time PAN ever seems to crash on me these days is when deleting articles while downloading... Queue up a bunch of downloads, go to another group, delete some things... Crash, but not every time though...