pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: newbie

From: Fred Fraley
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: newbie
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 11:13:16 -0400

On Saturday 18 May 2002 09:33 am, sammi wrote:

> be in your actual mailer sent folder, what is pans equivalent ? and why
> does it have the possibilty of four connections ? i can't see the point
> seeing as i've only got one phone line, so obviously i'm just not
> getting something, but what ?

        This is especially helpful with a slower dialup connection.*  It
basically
divides your phone connection into several channels that open and close as
needed.  For example...
        You start to DL headers in several busy groups, a large post from a
binary
group, or a bunch of posts from a text group.  If you only allow one connection
at a
time, you can't do anything but sit and watch the screen until it is
done.  If you allow your computer to make more than one connection, you can
basically tell the big chore "scooch over and let me reach past you for a
second".
        This will make more sense if you open the task manager by clicking on
the
second left button on the bottom status bar, the one that says something like
"Tasks: 0/4" and watch what it does when you add new tasks and current tasks
are completed.  Note that the connection speeds nearly always total your
"total" connection, either all at one task or split between tasks.
        Don't get carried away, though.  Too many connections and things can
get
awfully slow.
        Hint : If you try to make more connections than your news server
allows, you
will get red X's and skip the body you are trying to DL.  Ask your ISP how
many connections the server allows and do not exceed that.

* Amazed I said slower -- I remember being quoted US$3-5,000 instalation and
US$1500/month for a 56K line, albeit dedicated.  I'm still driving the same
car I drove to that meeting, so It wasn't all that long ago.