pan-users

[Pan-users] Anyone else having trouble getting pan 0.12 working with RH

From: Douglas Bollinger
Subject: [Pan-users] Anyone else having trouble getting pan 0.12 working with RH 7.3
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:11:53 -0400

First, I noticed that RH 7.3 rpms were available directly from the gtk+ ftp
server.  They installed OK, but when I tried to build Pan 0.12 it failed with
errors.  Then I tried the known-building Pan 0.11.94 and that build died as
well so something is wrong with these lib RPMS.

Next, I d/l the source tarballs and tried to build RPMS using the internal
spec files ala "rpm -ta source.tgz".  They all built correctly, and Pan
0.12 built as well, but when I tried to use Pan the in-post picture-viewer
wouldn't work.  I had this trouble before, and knew the fix.  This time, I
used some of the patches and the .spec files (updated) of the original
SRMPS for these libs from RedHat and built new libs.  This worked and now
Pan works fine.

Is everyone using RH 7.3 having this much trouble?  I'm just surprised that
I'm having this much of a time getting good updated libs for my system when
I'm using something as generic as RH.  I'm worried something is a bit
screwy with my system.  Like I said, Pan works fine now, but it looks like
I have to compile everything on this machine.

If it is this hard for everyone, I can provide updated .specs and a
walk-through on how to get Pan 0.12 working on RH 7.3.

--
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This
means that only left handed people are in their right mind.