pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Can Pan double-connect??

From: bergman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Can Pan double-connect??
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:21:22 +0200

In your message dated: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:01:29 EST,
The pithy ruminations from Beartooth on
<[Pan-users] Can Pan double-connect??> were:

I've been wading through the archive of pan-users posts, and I saw your message:

=>      I vave no idea whether this is even possible with
=> any machine anywhere; my apologies if I'm wasting everyone's
=> time.
=>
=>      I have Pan set to three newsfeeds: one at each of my
=> ISPs, plus news.opera.no. Each carries groups I want that
=> the others don't -- presumably one reason Pan *has*
=> provision for multiple servers. (Thanks, developers!)

Similar to my environment.

=>
=>      My normal practice, as now, is to connect to the
=> fast but unsatisfactory Verizon DSL (whose mailserver does
=> only POP3 -- maybe that's what makes trouble), then
=> immediately ssh over to Radix, where I run Pine in a shell
=> account. (I also run pine on my machine, and can get mail at
=> verizon -- if I want to bad enough, i.e. on rare occasions.)
=>
=>      But radix security denies the newsfeed to anyone not
=> connected directly: so I can read their groups with this
=> radix pine account, but not for instance with the same pine
=> release on my own machine. And not with Pan on this machine.
=>
=>      (For all I know, verizon may do the same thing, and
=> would shut me out if I were to dial up radix and telnet or
=> otherwise throu-connect to verizon.)
=>
=>      So my probably absurd question : could I connect to
=> verizon DSL as usual, and still make a side-connection by
=> dialing up radix? If so, would Pan be able to contact two
=> servers as it does now, and also the third over the dial-up?
=> If so, how?

Much better solution:
        before starting pan, begin an ssh tunnel from your machine to
        the radix news server (or shell host), tunneling connections
        from your machine to the NNTP daemon on radix. Thus, radix sees
        you as a local user (authenticated, able to read and post news)
        and pan sees the NNTP server as a local daemon, yet connects to
        radix.

You'll want to run something like:
        ssh -f -L 9119:news.radix.com:119 shell.radix.com sleep 30 < /dev/null
> /dev/null
before running pan. After this, you'll have to connect to port 9119
on your local machine to read news on radix.

Simply define the server profile for "radix" to connect to "localhost" on port
9119, and you can then use pan to connect to radix over the dsl line. This also
means that you're not submitting your NNTP server password (which is presumably
also your login password) in the clear.

I'll submit the general concept of defining per-server "pre-connection"
commands as a feature request soon.

Mark

=> --
=> RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
=> retiree & linux greenhorn, running Pan 0.11.2 under RH 7.2
=> Keep in mind that I have no idea what I am talking about.
=>
=>
=>

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A
address@hidden

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40panix.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman