pan-users

Re: OT [Pan-users] broken gnome stuff

From: Rassilon
Subject: Re: OT [Pan-users] broken gnome stuff
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:26:54 -0400

On Monday 08 July 2002 22:14, John LeMay wrote:

> where to look for an answer. I downed my Mandrake 8.2 box on Sunday. I
> changed dns servers and moved my file server's physical location. Both
> my machine and the server know about the new dns server. No ip changes
> (except for the ip address in resolv.conf).
>
> However, when I brought my machine back up Gnome starts but Nautilus
> does not. I can't start gnomecc or galeon either. All these apps show
> up if I ps -ef, but they never appear and nautilus never draws the
> desktop.
>
> I've removed from ~/ Nautilus, .nautilus, and .gnome*, but that hasn't
> helped. If I su to root, all of the above apps run. If I switch to
> another user account all of these apps run.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what may have gotten hosed or how to fix it?

        Try running galeon or Nautilus from a command window, and check what
messages they display.  I recall I had a problem running GNOME apps a
long time ago (I use KDE as my desktop environment) because of some way I
had (not) configured the loopback device (127.0.0.1), and they were
reporting, "Unable to bind to localhost" or something similar.
        What I would do is, try running one of the problem applications from a
command line, and then search Google for the error message (if any) it
prints when you try to start it.  Odds are, you will find the solution
within 30 minutes.

Good luck,

--
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//