pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Wish List

From: Marcelo Flores
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Wish List
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 05:05:30 -0400

> > > 1. In a lot of the a.b.p.* groups one post often includes more than
one attachment. As far as I know Pan only allows you to download all the
attachments. It would be great if you could select individual attachments
for download. That would be really cool

> > I'm not sure I follow you here ... more verbose example perhaps?
>
> The way I read it was this:
>
> Sometimes a poster will post more than one attachment with a message;
> for example, 2 or 3 JPGs.  Marcelo is asking for the ability to
> selectively download attachments without downloading all of them.
>
> I agree with him that this would be really neat, but I don't know how
> you'd go about implementing it; the boundaries in the message are either
> MIME boundaries or tagged by the "magic cookie" used for some encoding
> schemes (I think yEnc uses this method).  Since the nntp protocol
> doesn't inherently support binary formats (which is why we have encoding
> in the first place), there's no way to ask the news server just for
> attachment information; it's not stored in the header, so you have to
> download the entire message body anyways just to find the attachment
> information.

Ok, I have really no knowledge of the mechanics but you're right about my
suggestion. So my question still remains. If Pan is able to display several
images of a post, would it be a stretch to think there would be a way to,
for instance, right click on the image and do a "save as"? What I've been
thinking is that since it can display each jpeg individually, it wouldn't be
that much of a leap to be able to save them in that manner as well...  But
again not knowing the mehcanincs of it I can't really judge it.

Thanks for the input!

Marcelo