pan-users

[Pan-users] pan-0-11-fix, 0.11.3.90, and 0.11.4 summary

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] pan-0-11-fix, 0.11.3.90, and 0.11.4 summary
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:08:36 -0700

Just to clear the waters on this a little bit, here's the whole
story on the different development branches:

0-11-fix

  During the development of 0.12.0, Colin and I backported a lot of
  the new stuff into 0-11-fix -- probably about half of the non-gtk2
  changes.  Backporting was a lot of effort, and Colin and I both
  were busy with other things, so the backporting effort dropped off.

  As a result 0-11-fix has (a) some nice things not in 0.11.4, and
  (b) a lot of untested code.  Colin says it works fine for him, so
  some users may want to build 0-11-fix.

  From my perspective, though, the 0-11-fix backports were a mistake:
  If we had continued with the effort and released nearly-identical
  versions of Pan for Gnome 1.4 (0.11.4) and gtk 2 (0.12.0), then I
  would've had to field bug reports for both releases, keep bugfixes
  in sync, and generally use a lot of time for the benefit of people
  who don't want to install to gtk2 yet.  IMO that's a temporary
  audience: 0.12.1 downloads outnumber 0.11.4 by a two-to-one margin.
  And most users get Pan via their distro, which will also ship with gtk2.

0.11.4

  0.11.4 is 0.11.3 plus about a dozen bugfixes.  Since 0-11-fix was
  in an unknown state, I made 0.11.4 by checking out "pan-0-11-3"
  from CVS and applying the fixes.

0.11.3.90

  Was never released.  Since the diffs between 0.11.3 and 0.11.4 were
  all few-lines-of-code bugfixes that were already in production in 0.12.x,
  I gambled that it would be okay to release them without a 0.11 beta.

0-12-fix

  The lesson I learned from 0-11-fix is that these fix branches should
  *only* be for fixes.  So 0-12-fix should always be usable and stable.

HEAD

  Interesting and scary stuff.  Toolbars, spellchecking, and a
  nasty Followup-To bug. :)

cheers,
Charles