pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] gdb bt for 0.12.90 "Aborted"

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] gdb bt for 0.12.90 "Aborted"
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:45:58 -0400

John Ross Hunt wrote:

Do you have .aspell.conf and /etc/aspell.conf files configured correctly?
Here's what mine look like:

$ cat .aspell.conf
conf aspell.conf
conf-dir /etc
$ cat /etc/aspell.conf
lang english
language-tag en_US
master /usr/lib/aspell/english
personal .aspell.english.pws
repl .aspell.english.prepl

I had nearly the same backtrace until I configure aspell, then everything
started working again.

Thank you. I had neither until just before reading your response. By removing my rpm versions of aspell and pspell and building both from source tarballs, I was able to get more information from the gdb backtrace. I could see that it was looking for ~/.aspell.conf. Having no idea what to put into this file, I just created an empty one. Then I got another backtrace looking for /usr/local/etc/aspell.conf (???). (not /etc/aspell.conf). So I created an empty file there by that name too. And Eureka! pan finally came up. But I guess the spelling won't work with these empty config files. I will try following your example (except I guess I'll now have to say /usr/local/lib/aspell/english). I think there definitely should be some instructions on the pan web site explaining that you have to do all this in order to get 0.12.90 to come up at all. Come to think of it, maybe pan should check this and give a meaningful error message if there is no usable aspell configuration. It would be a bit more helpful than "Aborted". I guess I've got some reading (aspell docs) to do.
-- David