pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] problem with pan 0.12.91 compiling

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] problem with pan 0.12.91 compiling
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:13:40 -0400

Jeff Vian wrote:

I am trying to compile pan, and get an error that appears to be related to gtkspell

I downloaded and installed the rpm for gtkspell from the pan site before I started to compile pan.

The pan compile failed with the following linker error on the pan binary:

      /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpspell

What I found is that pspell is a separate package that you need to build and install along with everything else (or get it as an RPM in which you will also need pspell-devel). I found the source for it via a freshmeat search. I don't understand why this was not caught during configure. However, when I decided to build aspell from source, its configure did complain that I needed to build pspell first. I wish I understood what all these *spell's do and how their interdependencies work. And I found out the hard way (see my previous post) that pan will fail with "Aborted" if you don't have both personal and global aspell configuration files.
-- David