pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] auto_part_selection=false no longer supported?

From: Mark H. Kraml
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] auto_part_selection=false no longer supported?
Date: 24 Sep 2002 21:33:43 -0400

Ahhh, you guessed right about the feature :-), but the picking is not
working for me, and I can give you 2 cases when I have problems:

1) a multipart post with some errors in some parts, the sender sends new
versions of the failed parts. The auto picker keeps picking the bad
parts and there is no easy way to tell the system which ones to pick.

2) The latest one, some parts have expired from my server, but the
headers are still kicking around. The replacement parts are there, but
the picker picks the first match and thus fails because it can get the
associated article.

I would offer that the auto picker may work better if it auto picks the
newest parts that fit the download, I think it pick the first match
instead. But I have always used the manual picker and it has served me
well in many cases. Perhaps you would reconsider putting it back, it was
real nice. Also nice would be a command to report on missing parts for
all selected multipart articles, perhaps putting data into clipboard for
putting into a "I beg for fills" message. Just some ideas.

mk