pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Multiple Server Question (possibly suggestion)

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Multiple Server Question (possibly suggestion)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:28:18 -0700

On Monday 07 October 2002 10:36, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:00:42AM -0700, Eric Ortega wrote:
> >
> > This functionality has been on the TODO list since 1999.
>
> And *still* nobody's submitted a patch for it!  Free software projects are
> *supposed* to leave in missing features to draw in unwitting programmers!
> Clearly you, the users, are not living up to your side of the deal. ;)

Interesting you should mention that...  I'm clearly not ready to take on such
a challenge yet, but I did switch from MSWormOS to Linux less than a year
ago, in part because I had run up against the brick wall of $$ in continuing
my hobbiest developer activities on MSWormOS.  (I was actually pushed by MS
to take the plunge, after considering it for some time, when XP turned out to
be short for eXPrivacy, and I realized I either had to pirate it to keep my
privacy in tact, or switch.  Fortunately, there was the Linux alternative,
which I had already been contemplating, and vetting all my hardware purchases
against, for some time.)

Linux is a far better environment for the hobbiest programmer, and I switched
with the goal of ultimately picking a project or two to be active in, and
contribute to.  PAN definitely fits the interest requirement there, but I've
some serious work ahead of me before I match its talent requirement.   (I
formerly worked with pro-level VB, but as a hobbiest -- where I hit that
brick wall.  I've had a couple intro courses in C and Pascal, but am working
with Perl now on Linux, so Pan patches are a ways off.)

Still, I recently subscribed to all three PAN lists in ordered to keep up on
things, and in a year or two... who knows?  In the mean time, I can be active
on the lists.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin