pan-users

[Pan-users] Socket left open?

From: Lloyd Colling
Subject: [Pan-users] Socket left open?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 01:50:19 +0100

Hi all,

I'm running pan 0.13.1 on gentoo linux.

When I'm downloading binaries, I have noticed in the task manager the attempts to connect failing often, and moving to the next task in the list. This continues until it gets a connection (good) or goes through all the tasks a couple of times and stops (bad for me).

Looking in the log, 99% of the problems come out as a '400 Too many connections'. I have mine set to 2 connections max, 1 reserved, so this shouldn't be happening. I used netstat to look at the active tcp connections, and noticed that even after a download had finished, the socket remained connected. I'm supposing this is the problem.

So, 1) There seems to be a problem (at least on my machine) with sockets not being closed after a download has finished, and 2) The 400 error is causing the whole download process to halt if those sockets don't timeout by the time it's gone through the task list twice, which is annoying when you leave your computer on all night to download, only to come back the next morning and find you've downloaded 5 out of 120 parts.

Is this a problem with my installation, or is anyone else experiencing this problem? Note, I am on ntl cable modem in the UK.

--
Lloyd Colling
address@hidden