pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Messages require multiple clicking to view

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Messages require multiple clicking to view
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:39:58 -0700

On Fri 03 Jan 2003 17:29, Sam Alexander posted as excerpted below:
> About one out of every 5 times I click on a post, I get a red X to the
> left (instead of a letter) and the post won't come up in the Body pane.
> I can then either right-click on message and choose Read or click off
> the message and reclick it, and the message will generally come up.
>
> Why does this happen?  And what does the red X mean?  I assumed that it
> meant the message isn't available on the server, but many of the
> messages that come up fine have the red X.

You assume correctly.  You don't mention the news server you are using and
getting this with, but a couple of them are notorious for simply saying the
article doesn't exist, when they are to busy to get it for you right then.
Thus, it's likely a bug in your news server, not in PAN, but there's a slight
possibility it's pan.

Another possibility on the news server is if it's actually set up as a cluster
of machines, each with its own message store.  It's possible they aren't all
quite synced correctly, such that sometimes you get connected to a server
that has it, sometimes you get connected to one that doesn't.  I believe
UsenetServer had this problem for some time after they implemented their "all
you can suck for $16" plan last year, as it was more popular than they
expected and they had to rush new servers into production before they were
fully synced with all the others.  I am not sure if they are still having
that problem or not.  (I was following alt.binaries.news-server-comparison at
the time, but decided it wasn't worth following continuously when I got Cox
and access to their better news servers, so wasn't there to see whether they
ever fixed the reported problem or not.)

Just be glad it isn't MSOE you are using.  When OE gets the doesn't exist
error, it deletes the overview from the list, and you don't get another
chance at it, unless you reset the group, losing all previous state
information for it, and redownload all the overviews.  At least PAN just
gives you the red x, and you can try again.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin