pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request

From: Thomas Gamble
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 20:32:28 -0700

On Monday 30 December 2002 03:26 pm, John Aldrich wrote:
> I just built and installed RPMs for pan 0.13.3 and tried the new
> "single-click selects" feature. Nice. However, I second a request I saw
> awhile back when we were discussing bringing this feature back:
> Make it ONLY apply to groups, not messages.

For me, I'd have to disagree with this.  It is when selecting messages that I
find 'single-click-selects' most useful.  Few things are more annoying than
to select a message and have it start downloading when what I really wanted
is to mark it read or delete it.  To select a group and have its headers load
in the header pane with a single click is not such a problem since I'm
generally selecting the group to view and work with the headers anyway.

> Also, one problem I have with "single-click selects" is that it does NOT
> load the group messages, so that when I go to the message tab, it shows me
> the message list from the PREVIOUS group I just finished reading. That's
> rather confusing to me.
>
> Could we have some way of detecting that we've SELECTED a new group so that
> when we *open* the new group, it loads that group's messages?

Well, the group that is currently active in the header pane is shown in the
title bar of the PAN application even if it doesn't match what is currently
highlighted(selected) in the group pane.  I admit this is somewhat confusing.
Perhaps doing the opposite of what you suggest above and having
'single-click-selects' apply ONLY to MESSAGES and not groups would help here.
:o)