pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] One-off colorization of attributions.

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] One-off colorization of attributions.
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:27:22 -0800

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:52:39PM -0800, Eric Ortega wrote:
> I wish, I wish, Santa Claus could figure out this magic.  I want a
> newsreader that is capable of color-coding responses with posts in the
> proper, and not one-off, fashion.  It would reduce many, many headaches.

<snip>
>   this line is RED:    >>>>>
>   this line is RED:    >>>>>
>   this line is RED:    >>>>> The Beet Man wrote:
>   this line is BROWN:  >>>>> > On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:58:27 GMT, "Von Fourche"
>   this line is BROWN:  >>>>> > <address@hidden> wrote:
>   this line is BROWN:  >>>>> >
>   this line is BROWN:  >>>>> >
>   this line is PURPLE: >>>>> >>
>   this line is PURPLE: >>>>> >>   What does it mean when a line is listed as
> OFF?
>
>   Note that the attribution, which says that this is from "Von Fourche" is in
>   brown, while the actual words he wrote are in purple.

That's because Von Fourche didn't write the words ``Von Fourche  ... wrote:'';
they were added to the conversation by the person who replied to him, and
are colored accordingly.

Nevertheless, if you come up with an algorithm that will correctly recognize
attribution lines -- and many of the people most worth reading on Usenet
tend to tweak these to suit their tastes -- then I'll add it to Pan. :)

cheers,
Charles