pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Task Manager, "Stopped"?

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Task Manager, "Stopped"?
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:22:36 -0600 (MDT)

> In the task manager, I get a lot of downloads that come up as "stopped", I
> assume this means they were not able to be completely downloaded. If this is
> he case, "Stopped" should say something along those lines, like Incomplete.
> Stopped is too ambiguous.
I believe these were formerly labeled "failed", but recently there has been
some renaming going on within pan.  For example, right click on an
article and the menu says "Save attachments as..." while the popup
window it brings up says "Save articles as...".  I'm hoping that
particular change bodes well for better handling of the saving of text
messages.

It used to be that failed messages could be restarted with the restart
button in the task manager, but that has been broken since they fixed
the problem in which failed jobs were not retained in the task manager
at all.  If you exit pan and then tell it to resume the previous tasks
(another recently renamed button) then the stopped tasks will try again.
They may quickly become "stopped" again if the original problem
remains (e.g. one of the parts of the attachment is corrupt).  You can
also delete the task and then requeue it by reselecting the article.

You can see what the failure message is by bringing up the status log
(the button is in the lower right corner).