pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection

From: Alberto BARSELLA
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:46:25 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 at 11:40:58PM -0500, Adrian Holovaty wrote:

Pan freezes my Internet connection. I'll be downloading something -- headers, messages, binaries, anything -- and suddenly, without warning, all downloads stop progressing and my Internet connection no longer works in *any* application.

Hmmm....
Can you give more information on your setup?
Is your PC connected to the internet directly or you use a gateway/firewall?  Do
you use ADSL, cable modem or something else?
The feeling is that for some reason pan brings down your connection.

I've gotten so used to this bug that I follow the same procedure each time it happens: I close Pan, exit KDE and do a quick reboot with "init 1" and then "init 3." Then I'm able to log in to KDE again and my Internet connection is back up.

From this I guess that your PC is connected directly to the internet (i.e.
it's the PC running pan which has a modem attached to it and you have no
gateway).
What happens if you just restart your internet connection? (I think that
"service network restart" from a root console may do this).

I had (and still have) the same problem, which comes from a shitty (and I really
mean shitty) USB ADSL modem.  When the up/down link is saturated it
sometimes loses the connection.  There are workarounds, but I need more
information to understand if it's the same problem I have.

Bye,
Alberto
--
Alberto BARSELLA
** Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.