pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] An article that crashes pan-0.14.0

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] An article that crashes pan-0.14.0
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:08:16 -0700

On Wed 16 Jul 2003 21:12, Himanshu J. Gohel posted as excerpted below:
> "Duncan" wrote:
> > FWIW, in a case such as this, you can generally mine the cache for the
> > message in question.  It should be under ~/.pan/data/ whatever.  Perhaps
> > the easiest way to find it from there would be to do a file search on
> > content.
>
> Hmmm.  The article still showed up in the header pane so I clicked on it.
> Pan crashed and I went to
> ~/.pan/data/Microsoft/microsoft.public.streets-trips.dat file and did a
> grep for the name, email and subject words, no luck.
>
> Let's say I was able to find the article in the .dat file, what could I do
> with it?  Can I extract or debug from that somehow?

I guess I didn't provide enough information.  The dat files just track read
messages and etc.  They don't contain actual message content.  Therefore, you
weren't looking in quite the right place.

I was trying to avoid going to disk and checking actual path, but..

Look in ~/.pan/data/messages/cache.  BE WARNED, that is the cache for ALL
messages saved to disk from ALL groups on ALL servers, so it can get pretty
big, both in terms of gigs, and in terms of number of files.  I suggest you
open it with something fast like mc, NOT something that tries to get all the
metadata and put pretty icons by each message file, like Konqueror, which
could take nigh forever to open it if you have a multi-gig cache as I do.

In that dir each message is saved by its msgid, which is supposed to be
globally unique (altho Forte Agent for instance at least used to use a random
number I believe it was @ax.com or some such, so there is a possibility of
msgid collision there, tho it's extremely unlikely with ordinary expiry
times), so it makes a handy filename since there shouldn't be any namespace
collisions.  Since you didn't know the msgid, however, that wouldn't help you
directly, which is why I suggested a search by content for something that you
DID know about the message, like author or subject header.

I've done this on occasion myself, so I know it works.

Make more sense, now?

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin