pan-users

[Pan-users] Gmane?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Gmane?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:17:02 -0700

As many of you already know, I've been switching to gmane for the PAN groups.
I'm now ready to drop the mail side, but do I unsubscribe altogether, or will
my posts to the list then bounce?  Should I simply stick myself in no-deliver
status instead?

BTW, Charles, I notice pan-announce isn't on gmane.  Could it be added as a
read-only group, or is there some other specific objection to that I'm not
aware of?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, try http://gmane.org .  GMane
is a news gateway to various mailing lists, including pan's own user and
developer lists.  They don't expire articles, which makes them a good
archive, but for use in PAN one may wish to set up a rule with action delete
on a filter set for older than N days.  For those interested, they do also
have a web based gateway, tho it does expire messages after a period and I
believe is read-only.

Until I joined the PAN and a couple other mailing lists (Mandrake Cooker,
basically), I'd often go weeks without opening my mail client as news has
always been a higher priority than mail for me.  I'd like to return to that,
and news seems like a better solution than a mailing list anyway, so the
gmane solution definitely appeals to me.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin