pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Using emacs as the editor directly.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Using emacs as the editor directly.
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:37:23 -0700

Jeff Vian posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Fri,
19 Sep 2003 18:59:59 -0500:

>  put it in the preferences as the external editor.
>

> Han Boetes wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have been trying to setup pan so it uses emacs as the editor directly
>>so without using the internal editor. Is this possible?

[There's a reason PAN warns about top posts..  GRR!!]

Read his request again.. he wants to use emacs directly, w/o invoking the
internal editor at all.  IOW, when he hits post or followup, he doesn't
want the added step of having to hit the external editor
button/hotkey/menu-entry in the internal editor to get the external one.
He wants to avoid the internal editor directly & go to the external one
instead.

At least that's the way I read it.

..  I don't believe it's currently possible.    I think it'd be a handy
feature, as a checkbox in preferences under apps and mail, but it isn't
there yet.

Han, check to see if there's a feature request for that already in
bugzilla and if not, file one.  I can't say whether this will appeal to
Charles to add right away or not, but if U R a coder, I expect a patch
would likely be welcomed..

BTW.. as an emacs fan, why don't you use gnews or whatever it is under
emacs?  I never got the hang of emacs, having tried vim first, and
actually using KDE's kate/kwrite under X, and GNU's mc/mcedit more
frequently @ console, so I don't quite understand the emacs ethos, but it
would seem to me that someone that likes emacs well enough to prefer it as
an editor would prefer its own news functionality as well.  Thus, I'd be
interested in why you don't.

Benjamin Franklin