pan-users

[Pan-users] Question about scoring and watched threads

From: cav
Subject: [Pan-users] Question about scoring and watched threads
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

I just figured out why pan (version 0.14.2, debian unstable deb) was
inexplicibly taking 10 minutes+ during the score process (on my AMD 2600+ with
> 1 gig ram) when loading a group (version 0.14.2, debian unstable deb).  It
seems that my old rules (set up to mark threads as watched so that they are
hilighted when they contain certain things, usefull in binary groups where I
want to notice when, say, someone has posted some "Yes" album...)  end up
making the score file grow rather quickly, since every time it finds a header
matching the rule it adds a brand new score item.  This seems like a bad thing
to me.  I assume that the proper thing do do would be to end up with one item
in the score file doing what the rule is intended to do (in my case just
hilight the things matching the filter)

I'm not sure what the plans are for the score file (I haven't been paying much
attention to the mailing list lately) and what is going to happen with the
rules in the long term?  But it seems the "watch thread" option in the rules is
a time-bomb if you use it.  (And I guess I need to learn the score file syntax
and replace my rules with that?  But I do like the filter interface as it
stands, and I'll be dammed if I can't find any thing explaining what the syntax
should be in the score file (for instance, can I set up something to score
based on if it matches my filter criteria, same as rules did?) so if someone
could point me in the right direction?)

So, should I just shut my trap and wait for the next version?  Or should I
submit this as a bug/wishlist item?  Or is there some hidden menu item I'm too
dense to find?

cav

=====