pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] RE: suggestions for large groups

From: Steven Ellis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] RE: suggestions for large groups
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:32:04 +1300 (NZDT)

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 19:05:17 -0600, Erik wrote:
>
>> This is because you have 1 gig of cache. Lower it to a reasonable
>> amount and try again. 10 MB here and no high memory usage, swapping,
>> etc, even on machines with 128-256MB of RAM.
>
> Hehehe... with a 10MB cache, I always ran into a problem where the posts
> I was downloading would disappear from the cache before I even got to
> look at them.
>
> When browsing alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper, for example, I would
> click on say 5 walls to display (so they'd all load nearly
> simultaneously), and when they were all downloaded, if I was lucky
> there'd be 4 left in the cache...

Ive had similar problems and tend to use a 50 Mb Cache. Also allows me to
download larger binary attachments in the multimedia groups.

My poor K6-2 500 that I use for Usenet has only got 384 Mb Ram and is
always stressed out by Pan.

One thing to note is that deleting a groups articles is a hell of a lot
quicker than marking read, but not as flexible.

Steve