pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: nntp//rss

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: nntp//rss
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:03:04 -0700

Mark Derricutt posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:51:19 +1200:

> Is anyone out there using nntp//rss ( http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/ )
> with Pan at all?
>
> For some reason, Pan fails to mark any posts as being read when run
> against an nntp/rss server, I'm wondering if theres some headers missing
> that's causing Pan grief.
>
> You can test this by connecting to the sample nntp//rss server at:
>
>   demo.methodizesolutions.com

I haven't tested that, but.. in the past the quirks on fail-2-mark-as-read
have been due to no per-server-per-group message numbering (xref: header).
That's obviously what PAN uses for mark-as-read, altho it actually stores
the messages (as opposed to the overviews) by msg-id.

One potential way around the problem would be to configure INN or another
news server locally, set it to do the caching PAN does now (and even run
as a daemon and get the news as it comes in to your groups rather than
having to have PAN fetch it), and of course to assign its own xref:
headers, set PAN to a very small cache, and then have PAN read off your
local server.  PAN would then see the xrefs assigned locally and be able
to mark-as-read normally.

Benjamin Franklin