pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Turning off warning about long signature

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Turning off warning about long signature
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:06:17 -0700

Heya, Danita. :-)

The 4-line limitation is something that is part of the GNKSA/2
validation that defines good newsreader behaviour on USENET.  See
http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/ for info on the seal.

In particular, item 15 reads in part:

"Hence, posting software SHOULD prevent the user from using excessively
long signatures, or at least warn the user against it.  A widely
accepted standard is the so-called McQuary limit: up to 4 lines, each up
to a maximum of 80 characters."

The only way to change the limitation is by modifying the code; you'll
find this for a number of pan's features.

What I would do (and used to do) is put the FAQ information on a web
page and then link to it from my signature; it doesn't get the same
exposure, true, but it does get the message to the end user without
hitting them with a signature that's longer than the message (not yours,
but another of our colleague's signature does that quite
frequently). :-)

Jim