pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Does Pan crash when you try to post a message withou

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Does Pan crash when you try to post a message without a body
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 04:29:25 -0700

Charlie Law posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:53:29 +0000:

> I tried applying the patch but I'm getting an error. If I name the patch
> "gtk+.patch", what syntax would I use? I tried different -p options but
> nothing worked.
>
> (Of course, it would help if I knew what I was doing, which I don't.)

I see you applied the patch by manually editing the file and it worked.

However, for further reference, the normal way to apply the patch is

1) cd to the build dir

2) patch -pX < /path/to/patch

X is the number of path segments to trim from the path as in the patch.
Just how many segments to trim can generally be found by examining the
paths as shown in the patch file, and comparing it to where the parallel
files to be patched are, in your build tree.

< is the stdin redirect symbol, so this pipes the content of the patchfile
into the patch command.

I'm by no means an old hand at patching, yet, but I can usually get it to
work after trying a couple times, sometimes after re-checking the patch
man page.  It definitely gets easier after you've done it a couple times
and understand a bit more about what it's doing, how it gets the path
information, and how the -pX affects the trimming of that path.  Feeding
the patch to patch via standard-in (stdin) may not seem too intuitive to
those that aren't accustomed to shell redirection, but again, work with it
a bit, and it gets easier pretty fast.

There are probably GUI based patch front-ends that allow one to browse to
the files in question, the patch file, and at least one of the
to-be-patched files, and deduce the correct place to CD to, and the
correct command line to feed patch, then do it automatically.  Of course,
while easier, one doesn't have the experience of learning and appreciating
the logic behind how patch works, and being able to take that knowledge
away from the process, as one does if they learn to do it from the command
line.

Benjamin Franklin