pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trouble configuring Pan 0.11.4

From: Geek
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trouble configuring Pan 0.11.4
Date: 09 Feb 2005 17:18:30 PST

w0000t!

Duncan, all thanks to you, we did it! :-)

I checked the package list and realized that Debian stable *does not have* a
dev package for libxml1. The list is at:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=
libxml1&version=stable&arch=i386

Also note how Debian dumps everything in prefix=/usr and not /usr/local like
source distro's (to actually keep n00bs from compiling from source and
installing before dpkg --purge and breaking their system).

So, I snag libxml1 from
http://ftp.linux.org.uk/mirrors/ftp.gnome.org/sources/libxml/1.8/ , do the make
dance and now I have a fully functional Pan 0.11.4!

I'm going to write a HOWTO on this (as far as my search goes, this is the first
time it's been done on stable). What name and URL for you (unless you'd rather
not) shall I include in the  credits?

PS: Three years ago, it was a toss between Gentoo and Debian for this box. The
package manager and the "apt" system broke the tie for me ;-)

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Geek posted
<address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:31:41 -0800:

> Hmmm, now I have a new problem on MAKE
>
> filter-xml.c: In function `create_filter': filter-xml.c:774: structure
> has no member named `val' make[3]: *** [filter-xml.o] Error 1
>
> Then it exits recursively.
>
> I checked the C code around line 774 and it looks fine.
>
> Is this perhaps a problem with my xml2 library?
>
> Maybe I should post this to the DEV list?
>
> Thinking it was a bum C file, I tried compiling 0.11.3, to find the same
> thing.

Oh...  I think you goofed with that symlink, and I did too, as I didn't
spot it until now because the needed data was in two separate list posts,
so couldn't mention it in the previous reply.

Look at the original configure error.  It says libxml 1.8.11 or higher
needed.  That's still libxml1, not libxml2.  When you symlinked, you
symlinked to the xml2-config, belonging to libxml2.  A change in major
version number as in the 1 > 2 here denotes a compatibility break.  You
can't use libxml2 where it wants libxml1, yet with that symlink, that's
essentially what you were trying to make the build do.

Remember, I mentioned possible issues with stuff that expects libxml1.  At
that point, I was thinking newer PAN, which I believe requires libxml2.
Thus, that "possible issues" now applies, because I forgot we were dealing
with the Gnome1 version of PAN here.

Back to the original problem, then.  You still need the xml-config from
libxml1.  If it's not on your system, as that or perhaps a slightly
different name (NOT xml2-config, as I guess we both know by now! <g>),
you'll have to figure out how to get it.

Two possibilities here.  One, I don't know how Debian handles this, but
many/most RPM based systems often split libraries into two packages, one
containing the actual library (shared object, aka *.so* file and symlinks)
as it will be used by binary packages, the other containing additional
files as used for compiling from source.  The second package would be
named libxml-devel or some such.  See if such a package exists and install
it if so (after removing that symlink you added if you haven't already).
/That/ might contain your missing xml-config.

Two, list the files in your existing libxml 1.8.17 deb, and see if you can
spot the Debian name for xml-config.  Maybe libxml-config, or xml1-config,
or some such.  Ensure that you have said file, and reinstall the deb if
necessary to get it.  If there's nothing in the package file list that
looks close, see the split package suggestion above.

..  That's one good thing about Gentoo.  Since it's designed to merge
everything using ebuild scripts that manage any distrib specific stuff and
then compiles the package from source, one doesn't have to worry about
devel packages because Gentoo always includes that anyway.  Their
dependency system is usually pretty good as well, but then again, so is
Debian's (and so is Mandrake's, using their urpmi rpm dependency tracking
and auto-installation system), save for the fact that it's a binary
distribution and thus may not install stuff needed for from source
compilation, by default, a problem that doesn't apply to Gentoo Altho
installing from binary is possible using GRP (Gentoo Reference Platform)
binary packages, even those assume that once the system is up and running,
further updates will be emerged from source, so even the binary packages
include all the devel stuff necessary to do so.