pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Dealing with huge numbers of messages in a newsgroup

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Dealing with huge numbers of messages in a newsgroup
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:13:52 -0700

Geek posted
<address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:40:45 -0800:

> In the meantime, is there a way to "plug in" a Perl script, which handles
> lotsa text much more gracefully than GTK?

I don't get the question.  AFAIK, PAN doesn't have an issue with lotsa
text in a single post, and the discussion was about lotsa posts, not lotsa
text.

Assuming you are just continuing the existing thread and meant lotsa posts..

Not really.  That'd be difficult to do unless you are splitting the PAN
post database entirely, and feeding it a bit at a time, in which case it'd
be easier to simply use another client.

However, if one is interested in trying out the new code, take a look at
the devel list.  K. Haley has posted links to his code (which appears to
be what Charles will be integrating) there.  Caution, of course, that it
isn't yet all up and running, yet, but...

There's also PAN's official CVS.  I don't know at what point it will start
integrating KH's work, or if it has already, but ...  I do know that the
regular SuSE CVS snapshots have been having problems of late as they
weren't working right, which indicates something is up, whether it's
merging the new db backend yet, or just an update to PAN's current code.