pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:07:54 -0800

---- Original Message ----
From: "Jim Reiss" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 13:13

2. From the command line execute "apt-get update"

3. From the command line execute "apt-get install pan"

After you've installed the package you might want to comment out
or remove the line from /etc/apt/sources.list.

I appreciate your trying to help but what you wrote is "greek" to
this "non-geek".  On the Xandros desktop I don't see any "apt-get
update".
Right.  You need to type it as the root user in a command line
window. Like an MS-DOS Command Prompt window on Windows.  The root
account can be thought of as being like the Windows Administrator
account.

Xandros has an "administrator account". How do I get to the "command line" from the desktop?

If you need a graphical package manager look for something like
Synaptic or KPackage, but really the command line is the easiest
way to do this and certainly the easiest to describe.

Does that install with a double click?

I think I may have had unrealistic expectations for Linux.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington