pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Some feedback on Pan/0.14.90

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Some feedback on Pan/0.14.90
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:53:29 -0600

On Mar 13, 2005, at 6:04 PM, address@hidden wrote:

I got this in the mail today and would like to ask for user suggestions:

with incomplete binaries theres no way to tell which parts are needed
to ask for them, you are hiding necessary information here, this is not a
minor thing, but a reduction in utility

I agree that we've lost some utility, but giving each part back its own line in the header pane will cost a lot of the speed and memory wins that Pan's
just gained.  So there needs to be another method of giving this info.
Maybe a right-click-menu button to pull up an info dialog, or a tooltip
in the header pane, or ... ?

Opinions anyone?

Have not yet been able to build the CVS version, but this is something needed even in the tar.gz version. That on occasion Pan thinks it has all the headers to complete a file but on download can not get one and aborts the entire bundle.

Have found I can retry the article and sometimes takes 5 tries before the news server coughs up the problem part. Sometimes it never delivers.

If Pan knows in advance the article was incomplete then it presses on and produces a file for par to repair.

While I'm at it, the command line tool ydecode complains about everything I've downloaded with Pan as being one byte short. Not sure where that problem lies.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden