pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Scores not expiring

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Scores not expiring
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:06:52 -0700

Jim Henderson posted
<address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:22:24 -0600:

> Running pan 0.14.2 on SuSE Pro 9.2, and I've noticed that my scores never
> seem to expire - how can I force this to happen?

If you are describing what I think you are describing, yes, the scores
"expire", as in, after that date they are no longer applied (when PAN
loads the score file, it'll log the expirations and disable those scoring
records.

However, they don't get automatically removed from the score file.  You
have to check your log every few months (depending on how many expiring
scores you set), see that it's saying the score at line XXX is expired,
and go remove the actual expired score record at that in the file,
manually.

IOW, expired scores won't be applied, but they /will/ continue to
accumulate in the score file until you go thru and eliminate them
manually.  If you are a really heavy expiring score user, they'll add up
relatively fast and eventually become a performance issue as the score
file expands and expands, with all those dead scores.  Cleaning out the
score file will then need to be done regularly, perhaps every month or
even every week, to avoid that performance penalty.  If you don't score
much and when you do it's often permanent (my usage pattern), there won't
be that many scores expiring, so cleaning out the dead scores from the
score file can be done only once or twice a year without a serious impact
on performance.

If you are actually seeing those expired scores still APPLIED, not
disabled, that's an ENTIRELY different issue, one that I'm not aware of.
That may be worth debugging.