pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Wha hoppena my data??

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Wha hoppena my data??
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:01:12 -0500

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:16:24 -0700, Duncan wrote:

> Beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
> below,  on Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:28:37 -0500:
>
>> Pan started refusing to post things; then suddenly most of the posts I had
>> refrained from  purging are gone, from group after group. And the few that
>> aren't gone are ancient of days.
>
> What kind of filesystem are you running on the partition that PAN's data
> is on?  Have you fscked it recently?  That sounds like a potentially very
> sick filesystem to me.

I don't even know how to tell. I'm running whatever comes with Fedora Core
4, with frequent updates. (I did notice, quite some time ago, that yum had
switched me to 0.14.2.91 from some much shorter -- and iirc stabler --
release, because it thought the number looked higher.) Fsck is one of
those legendary commands that I've never even had the nerve to read about
-- I'm capable of bollixing a machine to the point of uselessness without
even trying any of the *big* things root can do ...

> The other issue if you are running PAN-cvs (which it doesn't appear you
> are, but...) might be an instability there.  IIRC, that happened once to
> me with a beta, some years ago.  The current stable and "beta" releases
> are several years old at this point, however, and have tested pretty
> stable during that period, so it isn't likely to be an issue with them.

I try to stay as far behind the cutting edge as I can without falling and
being devoured by the demon wolves behind the sled. I wouldn't go near CVS!

> If the posts you had refrained from purging were valuable enough to keep,
> you had backups, correct?  (Of course, if you are talking about gmane's
> list/groups, you should be able to retrieve them from gmane once again, if
> necessary, once you get your filesystem issues or whatever worked out.
> Unfortunately, that means retrieving everything you've already read once
> again, and deleting the posts you didn't think worth saving, once again,
> but that's what backups are supposed to help prevent!)

Well, most of them were things I hoped to find time to look at, or
imagined I might need to someday; but a few were threads of mine that I
was watching.

What I finally did was just close Pan last night; it hadn't been closed
for probably weeks. When I re-opened it this morning, afaict, the stuff
was back. <shrugs and holds up empty bewildered hands>

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;  Dillo 0.8.5