pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How about undeleting a post? (was Re: Can Pan UN-ignore

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How about undeleting a post? (was Re: Can Pan UN-ignore a thread??)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:50:17 -0700

Beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:09:30 -0500:

>> If the ignored files have been deleted due to triggering an ignore
>> delete rule, first edit the scorefile as in choice two above, then
>> redownload /all/ overviews (not just new overviews, the normal action)
>> for the group once again. If the posts haven't expired, they should show
>> up.
>
> OK, I started with the scorefile. The wrongly deleted post wasn't in there
> -- naturally enough, since I had simply hit the delete key, not scored it
> into deletion.
>
> But I don't see (what I didn't see before, but could do without) how you
> re-download a post. Clue, please??

Right-click on the group in the group pane, or use the newsgroups menu,
and select "More download options".  Then either choose "Download All
Headers" (which means overviews, not headers, but...), or choose "Download
Recent Headers" and select the number of overviews/headers that you think
might include the post, plus a safe margin.

Note that this will bring back all sorts of stuff you may have already
deleted, but will only bring back what's still on the server.  Of course,
on gmane, that's everything from as long as they've carried the
group/list, so it could be several years worth.  On a good commercial
server, it'll be maybe six months worth for text groups.  On a good ISP
server, it'll be a month or two, most likely, for text groups.  Single
part binaries will be a few days (good ISP server) to a couple months
(good comercial server), multipart binaries up to a couple weeks on a good
commercial server, 2-3 days on a good ISP server, only hours on a
not-so-good server.