pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Article Threading in Pan 0.101

From: Douglas Bollinger
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Article Threading in Pan 0.101
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:20:30 -0400

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:41:19 -0600 (MDT)
address@hidden (Jim Reiss) wrote:

> Personally I disagree...I think that's true for text newsreading, but
> when primarily using pan for binary harvesting it's really nice to be able
> to see which headers are new, since you don't actually read binary posts.
> The old/new thing wasn't always reliable though and I suppose the workaround
> is to mark the group read after each browse of headers.  I see there's
> an option to do this automatically, although there's no way to
> exclude the text groups you probably don't want it to happen to.

When you are done looking at binary headers, just do a CTRL-SHFT-M to "Mark
all posts read" in that newsgroup.  It worked in old Pan and still works in
new Pan.  At this date, probably 90% of my Pan usage is binary and unread/read
always worked fine.

Here's a classic example of old Pan new/old failing for binary headers.  You
grab a few days of new headers and start to d/l.  After a hour or so, you
realize you need a few more articles to complete that last RAR so you hit 'a'
to grab new headers.  BOOP.  Now almost all your headers are automatically
old, just with one keypress.  No thanks, but just marking them read by hand is
much more foolproof because just grabbing new headers doesn't change the older
article's state.

Let's drive a wooden stake through the new/old feature.  die die die! :)

--
It is very vulgar to talk like a dentist when one isn't a dentist.
It produces a false impression.