pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Text styles and emoticon display

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Text styles and emoticon display
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:18:19 +0000 (UTC)

Brad Rogers <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 05 Jul 2006
21:12:17 +0100:

> Hello Charles,
>
> I've just noticed that when displaying /italics/ in the Pan betas, they
> are emboldened, even if bold is not set.

Hmm... /italics/ aren't */bold italics/* here.  Often in the past, such
observations have been due to the choice of font.  Are you sure yours
makes that distinction?

> Also, the *, / or _ chars are
> still displayed as well as the relevant style.

As with Christian, to me, that's a feature! =8^)  If the characters were
removed, I'd not have the display of those things toggled on at all.
(Even still, it's a rather strange effect when someone posts compiler
output or the like, and you get a bunch of underlined and italicized stuff
in the compiler output.  It took me a bit to figure out that's what it
was, and toggle it off for that.)

> Secondly, smilies with "noses" don't get displayed as icons when that
> option is set.  For example, :) gets converted, but :-) doesn't.

I noticed that too.  I'm not sure, but that /might/ be a feature as well,
as including all the icons for the various noses and other smiley features
(like the hair and glasses on mine =8^) might make for an unmanageable
number of permutations, and reducing that number would significantly reduce
the amount of data conveyed by the smiley!  Thus, limit to the most common
ones, and display the others as text, and the data isn't lost, while still
maintaining a reasonably manageable number of icons.

> Both the above are true for 0.102 beta.  I don't know about previous
> versions.

True since the features were added, AFAIK.