pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: number of replies to a thread?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: number of replies to a thread?
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:11:07 +0000 (UTC)

"henri naccache" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:55:31 -0700:

> is there a chance we are going to see the number of posts in a thread
> displayed anywhere in the new series?
>
> i've reverted to the old pan when i read rec.games.pinball, too hard
> to track the popular threads without that info

It'll very likely eventually make it, but whether it will be for 1.0
stable or after 1.0 stable, Charles would have to answer.  1.0 should be
coming up shortly -- I've been guessing August, so there isn't a lot of
time left to add anything and get it sufficiently tested, unless it's
either trivial, or has already been planned, and the only one on the
already planned list yet to be added is charset viewing, according to the
0.103 announcement.

Thru 1.0.x, I'd recommend sticking with old-pan unless you need either the
automated multi-server or the /much/ better memory scaling of new-pan, as
there are some critical features not yet reimplemented yet, the biggest
of which is per newsgroup settings retention IMO. Since both of the big
new features mainly apply to binary groups, for those doing primarily
text, I'd definitely suggest sticking with old-pan for the moment.

Post 1.0, Charles says there will be a few bugfix releases in the 1.0.x
stable series, then he'll start 1.0.9xx (hopefully a three-digit beta
number this time, to prevent the bit of confusion going from .99 to .100)
as the 1.1 beta series.  Because a lot of requested subfeatures depend on
per newsgroup UI state retention, that's likely to be the big thing added
right away, thus appearing in 1.1 stable.  If your request doesn't make it
before 1.0, look for it too in 1.1, as I don't see it as that major or
difficult to add (tho I could be wrong), and it's a reasonable request.

If you haven't, please enter a request on bugzilla, so it doesn't get
lost.  Thanks, and thanks for using PAN! =8^)