pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Version of Pan to be shipped with Debian Etch

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Version of Pan to be shipped with Debian Etch
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:38:34 -0600 (MDT)

> > Personally, I consider the inability to delete servers about the only real
> > showstopper in the betas[2].
> >
> > Charles, what would you prefer?
>
> Not Charles, but IMO it would be /nice/ if both an old and a new version
> could be shipped, since the new version is still missing functionality
> that the old one has that's very useful for text groups (and that will
> remain the case until post 1.0), while the new one works FAR better for
> large binary groups or for binary harvesting off of multiple servers.
Not Charles either, but I echo that sentiment.  The two versions can
coexist on the same system, since they don't use the same configuration
file directory.  I've tried switching to the new version several times,
but so much was missing I went back to the CVS one.  So I'd recommend
something along the lines of having a pan command and a pan2 command
either in the same package or in separate packages.